Photos of C-20s from 1980s

Posted in: 1980s, Classic 20s
Photos of Chesapeake 20s from regattas in the 1980s given to the class association by Grace Gay who with her husband had acted as race committees for some 25 years.
 
 
 

Photo of Jade #37 at1976 Golden Regatta

Posted in: Classic 20s, 1970s
Photo of Jade #37 at Golden Regatta in 1976.  Jade was built in 1946 by Captain Dick Hartge.  She was owned by Doug Kolb (1947), H. Elliott (1956-57), Martha Hardesty (1964-66), Martha Baker (1966-71), Richard Green (1985-91).  She is currently owned by Rob MacAdam who restored her in the early 1990s.  Jade won the 1953 President's Cup Regatta in Washington D.C.

Wings # 808 Photo (1976) and History

Posted in: Classic 20s, 1970s
Here is a photo of the double-ender, Wings #808 with owner, Bill Battenfield and Capt Dick Hartge taken in the summer of 1976 in Bill's backyard in Abell, Maryland.  Wings was built in 1938 by Dick Hartge as one of his "transitional" designs before settling on his classic 20 footer.  In an undated letter, Bill Battenfield thanks Dick Hartge on the extensive restoration.  Wings was purchased from James L. Miller in Cape St. Clair in February 1976.  Earlier owners included C. Smith (1941) and J. Hunthperson.

Minx #70

Posted in: Classic 20s, 1970s
Pictures of Minx #70 which was owned by Bill Battenfield who lived off the Potomac River.  Photos were taken in 1976 at his home and 1982 sailing off St. Clements Island (first settlement in Maryland) apparently with his kids, Tom and Helen.  Minx was built in 1941 by Captain Dick Hartge.  She is a double ender.  Early owners include Ferrell (1941) and Barbara Meyers (1966).  According to Bill Battenfield who had owned Minx, she had silk sails and beat a Star in the Old Dominion Race (Alexandria, VA) in the 1940s.  She was lost in a storm in the 70s.

Photos of Columbia #47

Posted in: 1970s, Classic 20s
Various pictures of Columbia #47 at 1972 at the Golden Regatta with a broken mast, the 1976 Golden Regatta, and in 1979.  Columbia is currently owned and was extensively raced by Totch Hartge, son of its builder Capt. Dick Hartge. She was built in 1942 for Nelson Parks and originally named Aurora.  She was named Columbia, Blue Water II (when owned by Bobby Orme), Lotta Too and back to Columbia.  Currently, she is awaiting restoration.  Additional early owners include Billy Hartge, Maurice Pasquel, John Hazelworth (renamed Lotta Too), Delbert Zang, Joe Dawson, Albert Strong and Porter Wilson.  She has had an excellent racing record, especially under Totch Hartge.